After sanction from Mr. George W. Vanderbilt for operation of a lodge, on what is now known as the Biltmore Estate, approval was sought from Mount Hermon Lodge No. 118 and Asheville Lodge No. 410 to create a lodge under dispensation. Though not a Mason himself Vanderbilt had many men in his employee that were and understood the need for a lodge. Thus Biltmore Lodge No. 446 became a fixture in the Biltmore Village on March 24, 1891.
George Washington VanderbiltRead More